Description of HELL
... In Ramadhan the gates of Hell are closed... In Ramadhan Allah has some `utaqqa' (freed persons) from Hell...What is this Hell that it is being told about so much ?...
Paradise and Hell had already been created and they exist now ...
created Paradise and Hell-fire, He sent Gabriel to Paradise, saying:Look at
it and at what I have prepared therein for its inhabitants. The Prophet (pbuh)
said: So he came to it and looked at it and at what Allah had prepared therein
for its inhabitants. The Prophet (pbuh) said: So he returned to Him and said:
By your glory, no one hears of it without
entering it. So He ordered that it be encompassed by forms of hardship, and He said: Return to it and look at what I have prepared therein for its inhabitants. The Prophet (pbuh) said: So he returned to it and found that it was encompassed by forms of hardship. Then he returned to Him and said: By Your glory, I fear that no one will enter it. He said: Go to Hell-fire and look at it and what I have prepared therein for its inhabitants, and he found that it was in layers, one above the other. Then he returned to Him and said: By Your glory, no one
who hears of it will enter it. So He ordered that it be encompassed by lusts. Then He said: Return to it. And he returned to it and said: By Your glory, I am frightened that no
one will escape from entering it. [at-Tirmithi and al-Hakim among others]
Paradise and Hell quarrel ...
said, "Paradise and Hell (Fire) quarreled in the presence of their Lord.
Paradise said, 'O Lord! What is wrong with me that only the poor and humble
people enter me ?' Hell (Fire) said, I have been favored with the arrogant people.'
So Allah said to Paradise, 'You are My Mercy,' and said to Hell, 'You are My
Punishment which I inflict upon whom I wish, and I shall fill both of you.'"
The Prophet added, "As for Paradise, (it will be filled with good people)
because Allah does not wrong any of His created things, and He creates for Hell
(Fire) whomever He will, and they will be thrown into it, and it will say thrice,
'Is there any more, till Allah (will put) His Foot over it and it will become
full and its sides
will come close to each other and it will say, 'Qat! Qat! Qat! (Enough! Enough! Enough!). [Bukhari]
In another version of this hadith :
Paradise and Hell-fire disputed together, and Hell-fire said: In me are the mighty and the haughty. Paradise said: In me are the weak and the poor. So Allah judged between them, [saying]: You are Paradise, My mercy; through you I show mercy to those I wish. And you are Hell-fire, My punishment; through you I punish those I wish, and it is incumbent upon Me that each of you shall have its fill.
A Dialogue between the dwellers of Hell and the Dwellers of Paradise
Surah: 7. al-A`raaf
36. But those who reject our signs and treat them with arrogance they are companions of the fire to dwell therein (for ever).
37. Who is more unjust than one who invents a lie against Allah or rejects his signs? For such their portion appointed must reach them from the Book (of decrees); until when Our messengers (of death) arrive and take their souls they say: "where are the things that ye used to invoke besides Allah?" They will reply "they have left us in the lurch" and they will bear witness against themselves that they had rejected Allah.
will say: "enter ye in the company of the peoples who passed away before
you men and Jinns into the fire. Every time a new people enters it curses its
sister-people (that went
before) until they follow each other all into the fire. Saith the last about the first: "Our Lord! it is these that misled us: so give them a double penalty in the fire." He will say: "doubled for all": but this Ye do not understand.
39. Then the first will say to the last: "see then! no advantage have ye over us; so taste ye of the penalty for all that ye did!"
40. To those who reject Our signs and treat them with arrogance no opening will there be of the gates of heaven nor will they enter the garden until the camel can pass through the eye of the needle: such is Our reward for those in sin.
41. For them there is hell as a couch (below) and folds and folds of covering above: such is Our requital of those who do wrong.
42. But those who believe and work righteousness no burden do We place on any soul but that which it can bear they will be companions of the garden therein to dwell (for ever).
We shall remove from their hearts any lurking sense of injury; beneath them
will be rivers flowing; and they shall say: "Praise be to Allah Who hath
guided us to this (felicity):
never could we have found guidance had it not been for the guidance of Allah: indeed it was the truth that the apostles of our Lord brought unto us." And they Shall hear the cry: "Behold! the garden before you! Ye have been made its inheritors for your deeds (of righteousness)."
44. The companions of the garden will call out to the companions of the fire: "We have indeed found the promises of our Lord to us true: have you also found your Lord's promises true?" They shall say "yes"; but a crier shall proclaim between them: "the curse of Allah is on the wrong- doers;
45. "Those who would hinder (men) from the path of Allah and would seek in it something crooked: they were those who Denied the Hereafter."
46. Between them shall be a veil and on the heights will be men who would know everyone by his marks: they will call out to the companions of the garden "peace on you" they will not have entered but they will have an assurance (thereof.)
47. When their eyes shall be turned towards the companions of the fire they will say: "Our Lord! send us not to the company of the wrong- doers."
48. The men on the heights will call to certain men whom they will know from their marks saying: "Of what profit to you were you hoards and your arrogant ways?
49. "Behold! are these not the men whom you swore that Allah with his mercy would never bless? Enter ye the garden: no fear shall be on you nor shall ye grieve."
50. The companions of the fire will call to the companions of the garden; "pour down to us water or anything that Allah doth provide for your sustenance." They will say: "Both these things hath Allah forbidden to those who rejected Him.
51. "Such as took their religion to be mere amusement and play and were deceived by the life of the world." That day shall We forget them as they forgot the meeting of this day of theirs and as they were wont to reject Our signs.
52. For We had certainly sent unto them a Book based on knowledge which We explained in detail a guide and a mercy to all who believe.
WHAT IS HELL ABOUT ?
Allah Ta`ala describes Hell in the Qur'an and His messenger, salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam, in the pure Sunnah
Anas Bin Malik relates: The Prophet (S) delivered before us a sermon the like of which I had never heard form him before. In course of it he said: 'If You could know what I know, you would laugh little and weep much.' Thereupon those present covered their faces and began to sob loudly. [Bukhari and Muslim].
Another version says: Some reports from the companions reached the Messenger of Allah (S). He therefore addressed them and said: Heaven and Hell were shown I have never seen the like of (the these two) till this day in good and in evil. If you could know what I know, you would laugh little and weep much. That was the hardest day for the companions of the Messenger of Allah (S). They covered their faces and started weeping loudly. [Bukhari & Muslim]
I. Hell described in al-Qur'an
Surah: 2. al-Baqara
24. But if ye cannot and of a surety ye cannot then fear the fire whose fuel is Men and Stones which is prepared for those who reject Faith.
167. And those who followed would say: "If only we had one more chance we would clear ourselves of them as they have cleared themselves of us." Thus will Allah show them (the fruits of) their deeds as (nothing but) regrets nor will there be a way for them out of the fire.
Surah: 4. an-Nisaa
10. Those who unjustly eat up the property of orphans eat up a fire into their own bodies: they will soon be enduring a blazing fire!
14. But those who disobey Allah and His Apostle and transgress His limits will be admitted to a fire to abide therein: and they shall have a humiliating punishment.
56. Those who reject Our Signs We shall soon cast into the fire: as often as their skins are roasted through We shall change them for fresh skins that they may taste the penalty: for Allah is Exalted in Power Wise.
145. The hypocrites will be in the lowest depths of the fire: no helper wilt thou find for them.
Surah: 5. al-Ma'ida
40. Their wish will be to get out of the fire but never will they get out therefrom: their penalty will be one that endures.
Surah: 6. al-An`aam
27. If thou couldst but see when they are confronted with the fire! They will say: "Would that we were but sent back! then would we not reject the Signs of our Lord but would be amongst those who believe!.
Surah: 9. at-Tauba
34. ... And there are those who hoard gold and silver and spend it not in the way of Allah : announce unto them a most grievous chastisement
35. On the day when heat will be produced out of that (wealth) in the fire of hell and with it will be branded their foreheads their flanks and their backs "this is the (treasure) which ye buried for yourselves: taste ye then the (treasures) ye buried!"
Surah: 10. Yunus
27. But those who have earned evil will have a reward of like evil: ignominy will cover their (faces): no defender will they have from (the wrath of) Allah: their faces will be covered as
it were with pieces from the depth of the darkness of Night: they are Companions of the Fire: they will abide therein (for aye)!
Surah: 11. Huud
106. Those who are wretched shall be in the Fire: there will be for them therein (nothing but) the heaving of sighs and sobs:
5. If thou dost marvel (at their want of faith) strange is their saying: "When we are (actually) dust shall we indeed then be in a creation renewed?" They are those who deny their Lord!
They are those round whose necks will be yokes (of servitude): they will be Companions of the Fire who dwell therein (for aye)!
Surah: 14. Ibrahim
15. But they sought victory and decision (there and then) and frustration was the lot of every powerful obstinate transgressor.
16. In front of such a one is Hell and he is given for drink boiling fetid water.
17. In gulps will he sip it but never well he be near swallowing it down his throat: Death will come to him from every quarter yet will he not die: and in front of him will be a chastisement unrelenting.
parable of those who reject their Lord is that their works are as ashes on which
the wind blows furiously on a tempestuous day: No power have they over aught
that they have
earned: That is the straying far (from the goal).
will all be marshaled before Allah together: then will the weak say to those
who were arrogant, "For us, we but followed you; can you then avail us
at all against the wrath of
Allah?" They will reply, "if we had received the guidance of Allah, we should have given it to you; to us it makes no difference (now) whether we rage, or bear (these torments) with patience: For ourselves there is no way of escape"
Surah: 15. al-Hijr
43. And verily Hell is the promised abode for them all!
44. To it are seven Gates: for each of those Gates is (special) class (of sinners assigned).
Surah: 18. al-Kahf
29. Say "The Truth is from your Lord": let him who will believe and let him who will reject (it): for the wrongdoers We have prepared aFire whose (smoke and flames) like the wall and roof of a tent will hem them in: if they implore relief they will be granted water like melted brass that will scald their faces. How dreadful the drink! How uncomfortable a couch to recline on!
53. And the Sinful shall see the Fire and apprehend that they have to all therein; no means will they find to turn away therefrom.
Surah: 22. al-Hajj
19. These two antagonists dispute with each other about their Lord: but those who deny (their Lord) for them will be cut out a garment of Fire: over their heads will be poured out boiling water.
20. With it will be scalded what is within their bodies as well as (their) skins.
21. In addition there will be maces of iron (to punish) them.
22. Every time they wish to get away therefrom from anguish they will be forced back therein and (it will be said) "Taste ye the Penalty of Burning!"
Surah: 23. al-Mu'minoun
103. But those whose balance is light, will be those who have lost their souls;in Hell will they abide.
104. The fire will burn their faces, and they will therein grin, with their lips displaced.
Surah: 25. al-Furqaan
11. Nay they deny the Hour (of the Judgment to come): but We have prepared a Blazing Fire for such as deny the Hour:
12. When it sees them from a place far off they will hear its fury and its raging sigh.
13. And when they are cast bound together into a constricted place therein they will plead for destruction there and then!
14. "This day plead not for a single destruction: plead for destruction oft-repeated!"
15. Say: "Is that best or the eternal Garden promised to the righteous? For them that is a reward as well as a goal (of attainment).
16. "For them there will be therein all that they wish for: they will dwell (there) for aye: a promise to be prayed for from thy Lord."
Surah: 26. ash-Shu`araa
94. "Then they will be thrown headlong into the (Fire) they and those straying in Evil
Surah: 27. an-Naml
90. And if any do evil their faces will be thrown headlong into the Fire: "Do ye receive a reward other than that which ye have earned by your deeds?"
Surah: 32. as-Sajda
20. As to those who are rebellious and wicked their abode will be the Fire: every time they wish to get away therefrom they will be forced thereinto and it will be said to them: "taste ye
the Penalty of the Fire the which ye were wont to reject as false.
Surah: 33. al-Ahzab
66. The Day that their faces will be turned upside down in the Fire they will say: "Woe to us! would that we had obeyed Allah and obeyed the Apostle!"
Surah: 35. Faatir
36. But those who reject (Allah) for them will be the Fire of Hell: no term shall be determined for them so they should die nor shall its Penalty be lightened for them: thus do We reward
every ungrateful one!
Surah: 36. Yasin
63. This is the Hell of which ye were promised
64. Embrace ye the (fire) this day, for that ye (persistently) rejected (truth)
65. That day shall We set a seal on their mouths. But their hands will speak to Us, and their feet bear witness, to all that they did.
Surah: 37. as-Saaffaat
62. Is that the better entertainment or the Tree of Zaqqum?
63. For we have truly made it (as) a trial for the wrong-doers.
64. For it is a tree that springs out of the bottom of Hell-fire
65. The shoots of its fruit-stalks are like the heads of devils
66. Truly they will eat thereof and fill their bellies therewith
67. Then on top of that they will be given a mixture made of boiling water.
68. Then shall their return be to the (Blazing) Fire.
Surah 38. Saad
55. Yea, such! but for the wrong-doers will be an evil place of (final) return!
56. Hell!-they will burn therein, -an evil bed (indeed, to lie on)!-
57. Yea, such!- then shall they taste it, -a boiling fluid, and a fluid dark, murky, intensely cold!-
58. And other penalties of a similar kind, to match them!
59. Here is a troop rushing headlong with you! No welcome for them! truly, they shall burn in the Fire!.
60. (The followers shall cry to the misleaders:) "Nay, ye (too)! No welcome for you! It is ye who have brought us! Now evil is (this) place to stay in!"
61. They will say:" Our Lord! whoever brought this upon us, add to him a double chastisement in the fire!"
62. and they will say : How is it with us that we see not men who we used to number among the bad ones?
63. Did we treat them (as such) in ridicule, or have (our) eyes failed to perceive them?"
64. That is true, the mutual recriminations of the people of the Fire!
Surah: 39. az-Zumar
16. They shall have layers of fire above them and layers (of fire) below them: with this doth Allah warn off His servants: "O my servants! Then fear ye Me!"
unbelievers will be led to Hell in groups: until, when they arrive there, its
gates will be opened. And its keepers will say, "Did not messengers come
to you from among yourselves, rehearsing to you the signs (verses) of yourLord,
and warning you of the Meeting of this day of yours?" The answer will be:"True:
but the decree of chastisement has been
proved true against the unbelievers!"
72. (To them) will be said: "enter ye the gates of Hell, to dwell therein: and evil is (this) abode of the arrogant
Surah: 40. Ghaafir (al-mu'min)
47. Behold, they will dispute with each other in the Fire! The weak ones (who followed) will say to those who had been arrogant, "We but followed you: can you then take (on
yourselves) from us some share of the Fire?"
48. Those who had been arrogant will say: "We are all in this (Fire)! Truly, Allah has judged between (His) servants!
49. Those in Fire will say to the Keepers of Hell: "pray to your Lord to lighten us the Chastisement for a day (at least)!"
50. They will say: "did there not come to you our messengers with clear signs?" They will say, "yes". They will reply, "Then pray (as ye like)! but the prayer of those without faith is nothing but (futile wandering) in (mazes of) error!"
70. Those who reject the Book and the (revelations) with which We sent Our messengers: But soon shall they know,-
71. When the yokes (shall be) round their necks, and the chains; they shall be dragged along-
72. In the boiling fetid fluid; then in the fire shall they be burned;
73/74. Then shall it be said to them: "where are the (deities) to which ye gave part-worship beside Allah?" They will reply :"They have left us in the lurch: Nay, we invoked not, of old, anything (that had real existence). "Thus does Allah leave the unbelievers to stray.
Surah 43. az-Zukhruf
74. The sinners will be in the punishment of Hell to dwell therein (for aye):
75. Nowise will the (punishment) be lightened for them, and in despair will they be there overwhelmed.
76. Nowise shall We be unjust to them: but it is they who have been unjust themselves,
77. They will cry :"O Malik (1) would that thy Lord put an end to us!" He will say, "Nay, but ye shall abide!
78. Verily We have brought the truth to you: But most of you have a hatred for truth.
(1) Malik is the angel in charge of Hell
Surah 41. Fussilat
19. The day that the enemies of Allah will be gathered together to the Fire, they will be marched in ranks.
20. At length, when they reach the (fire), their hearing, their sight, and their skins will bear witness against them, as to (all) their deeds.
will say to their skins: "why bear ye witness against us?" They will
say: " Allah hath given us speech, -(He) Who giveth speech to everything:
He created you for the first time,
and unto Him were ye to return.
did not seek to hide yourselves, lest your hearing, your sight, and your skins
should bear witness against you! But ye did think that Allah knew not many of
the things that ye
used to do!
23. "But this thought of yours which ye did entertain concerning your Lord, hath brought you to destruction, and (now) have ye become of those utterly lost!"
24. If then, they have patience, the Fire will be a home for them! and if they beg for pardon, their suit shall not be granted.
Surah: 44. ad-Dukhaan
43. Verily the tree of Zaqqum
44. Will be the food of the Sinful
45. Like molten brass; it will boil in their insides
46. Like the boiling of scalding water.
47. (A voice will cry:) "Seize ye him and drag him into the midst of the Blazing Fire!
48. "Then pour over his head the Penalty of Boiling Water;
49. "Taste thou (this)! Truly wast thou Mighty full of honor!
50. "Truly this is what ye used to doubt!"
Surah 55. ar-Rahmaan
41. (For) the sinners will be known by their Marks: And they will be seized by their forelocks and their feet.
42. Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
43. This is the Hell which the sinners deny:
44 In its midst and in the midst of boiling hot water will they wander round!
Surah 56. al-waaqi`ah
41. The Companions of the Left Hand-what will be the Companions of the Left Hand?
42. (They will be) in the midst of a fierce Blast of Fire and in Boiling Water
43. And in the shades of Black Smoke:
44. Nothing (will there be) to refresh nor to please:
51. "Then will ye truly o ye that go wrong and treat (Truth) as Falsehood!
52. "Ye will surely taste of the Tree of Zaqqum.
53. "Then will ye fill your insides therewith
54. "And drink Boiling Water on top of it:
55. "Indeed ye shall drink like diseased camels raging with thirst!
56. Such will be their entertainment on the Day of Requital!
Surah: 66. at-Tahreem
6. O ye who believe! save yourselves and your families from a Fire whose fuel is Men and Stones over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe who flinch not (from executing) the Commands they receive from Allah but do (precisely) what they are commanded.
Surah: 67. al-Mulk
6. For those who reject their Lord (and Cherisher) is the Penalty of Hell: and evil is (such) destination.
7. When they are cast therein they will hear the (terrible) drawing in of its breath even as it blazes forth.
8. Almost bursting with fury: every time a Group is cast therein its Keepers will ask "Did no Warner come to you?"
9. They will say: "Yes indeed: a Warner did come to us but we rejected him and said `Allah never sent down any (Message): ye are in nothing but an egregious delusion!' "
10. They will further say: "Had we but listened or used our intelligence we should not (now) be among the Companions of the Blazing Fire!"
11. They will then confess their sins: but far will be (Forgiveness) from the Companions of the Blazing Fire!
Surah: 69. al-Haaqqah
25. And he that will be given his Record in his left hand will say: "Ah! would that my record had not been given to me!
26. "And that I had never realized how my account (stood)!
27. "Ah! would that (Death) had made an end of me!
28. "Of no profit to me has been my wealth!
29. "My power has perished from me!"...
30. (The stern command will say): "Seize ye him and bind ye him
31. "And burn ye him in the Blazing Fire.
32. "Further make him march in a chain whereof the length is seventy cubits!
33. "This was he that would not believe in Allah Most High
34. "And would not encourage the feeding of the indigent!
35. "So no friend hath he here this Day.
36. "Nor hath he any food except the corruption from the washing of wounds
37. "Which none do eat but those in sin."
Surah: 70. al-Ma'arij
15. By no means! For it would be the Fire of Hell!
16. Plucking out (his being) right to the skull!
17. Inviting (all) such as turn their backs and turn away their faces (from the Right)
18. And collect (wealth) and hide it (from use)!
Surah: 74. al-Muddaththir
26. Soon will cast him into Hell-Fire!
27. And what will explain to thee what Hell-Fire is?
28. Naught doth it permit to endure and naught doth it leave alone!
29. Darkening and changing the color of man!
30. Over it are Nineteen.
Surah: 75. al-Insaan
4. For the unbelievers We have prepared chains, yokes, and a Blazing Fire
Surah: 77. al-Mursalaat
28. Ah woe that Day to the Rejecters of Truth!
29. (It will be said:) "Depart ye to that which ye used to reject as false!
30. "Depart ye to a Shadow (of smoke ascending) in three columns
31. "(Which yields) no shade of coolness and is of no use against the fierce Blaze.
32. "Indeed it throws about sparks (huge) as Forts
33. "As if there were (a string of) yellow camels (marching swiftly)."
34. Ah woe that Day to the Rejecters of Truth!
35. That will be a Day when they shall not be able to speak
36. Nor will it be open to them to put forth pleas.
21. Truly Hell is as a place of ambush
22. For the transgressors a place of destination:
23. They will dwell therein for ages.
24. Nothing cool shall they tastes therein nor any drink
25. Save a boiling fluid and a fluid dark murky intensely cold
26. A fitting recompense (for them).
27. For that they used not to fear any account (for their deeds)
28. But they (impudently) treated Our Signs as false.
29. And all things have We preserved on record.
30. "So taste ye (the fruits of your deeds); for no increase shall We grant you except in Punishment."
Surah: 81. at-Takweer
12. When the Blazing Fire is kindled to fierce heat;
Surah: 88. al-Ghaashiya
1. Has the story reached thee of the Overwhelming (Event)?
2. Some faces that Day will be humiliated
3. Laboring (hard) weary
4. The while they enter the Blazing Fire
5. The while they are given to drink of a boiling hot spring.
6. No food will there be for them but a bitter Dhari
7. Which will neither nourish nor satisfy hunger.
Surah: 90. Balad
20. On them will be Fire Vaulted over (all round)
Surah: 101. al-Qaari`a
8. But he whose balance (of good deeds) will be (found) light
9. Will have his home in a (bottomless) pit
10. And what will explain to thee what this is
11. (It is) a Fire Blazing fiercely
Surah: 104. al-Humazah
1. Woe to every (kind of) scandal-monger and backbiter
2. Who pileth up wealth and layeth it by
3. Thinking that his wealth would make him last for ever
4. By no means! he will be sure to be thrown into that which breaks to pieces
5. And what will explain to thee that which breaks to pieces
6. (It is) the Fire of (the Wrath of) Allah kindled (to a blaze)
7. The which doth mount (right) to the hearts
8. It shall be made into a vault over them
9. In columns outstretched
II. Hell described in the Sunnah
Allah's Apostle said, "The (Hell) Fire is surrounded by all kinds of desires and passions, while Paradise is surrounded by all kinds of disliked undesirable things."
Allah's Apostle said, "The (Hell) Fire complained to its Lord saying, 'O my Lord! My different parts eat up each other.' So, He allowed it to take two breaths, one in the winter and the
other in summer, and this is the reason for the severe heat and the bitter cold you find (in weather)."[Bukhari]
(that the Prophet said) "It will be said to the Hell, 'Are you filled?' It will say, 'Are there any more (to come)?' On that Allah will put His Foot on it, and it will say 'Qati! Qati!
Malik reported that Allah's Messenger salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam said that
one amongst the dwellers of Hell who had led a life of ease and plenty amongst
the people of the
world, would be made to dip in Fire only once on the Day of Resurrection and then it would be said to him: O, son of Adam, did you find any comfort, did you happen to get any material blessing? He would say: By Allah, no, my Lord. And then that person from amongst the persons of the world be brought who had led the most miserable life (in the world) from amongst the inmates of Paradise and he would be made to dip once in Paradise and it would be said to him: O, son of Adam, did you face any hardship? Or had any distress fallen to your lot? And he would say: By Allah, no, O my Lord, never did I face any hardship or experience any distress. [Muslim]
Abu Hurairah reported Allah's Messenger, salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam, as saying: The Hell would be brought on that day (the Day of Judgement) with seventy bridles and every bridle would be controlled by seventy angels. [Muslim]
Abu Hurairah reported Allah's Messenger, salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam, as saying: The fire which sons of Adam burn is only one-seventieth part of the Fire of Hell. His companions said: By Allah, even ordinary fire would have been enough (to burn people). Thereupon he said : It is sixty-nine parts in excess of the (heat of) fire in this world each of them being equivalent to their heat. [Muslim]
reported : we were in the company of Allah's Messenger, salla Allahu alaihi
wa sallam, that we heard a terrible sound. Thereupon Allah's apostle, salla
wa sallam, said : Do you know what (sound) is this? We said : Allah and His Messenger know best. Thereupon he said : That is a stone which was thrown seventy years ago in Hell and it has been constantly slipping down and now it has reached its base. [Muslim]
Ibn Jundub reported Allah's Messenger, salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam, as saying
: There will be some to whose ankles the fire will reach, some to whose knees,
some to whose
waist the fire will reach, and some to whose collar-bone the fire will reach. [Muslim]
Al-Ahnaf bin Qais:
While I was sitting with some people from Quraish, a man with very rough hair, clothes, and appearance came and stood in front of us, greeted us and said, "Inform those who hoard
wealth, that a stone will be heated in the Hell-fire and will be put on the nipples of their breasts till it comes out from the bones of their shoulders and then put on the bones of their shoulders till it comes through the nipples of their breasts the stone will be moving and hitting." After saying that, the person retreated and sat by the side of the pillar, I followed
him and sat beside him, and I did not know who he was. I said to him, "I think the people disliked what you had said." He said, "These people do not understand anything, although my friend told me." I asked,"Who is your friend?" He said, "The Prophet said (to me), 'O Abu Dhar! Do you see the mountain of Uhud?' And on that I (Abu Dhar) started looking towards
the sun to judge how much remained of the day as I thought that Allah's Apostle wanted to send me to do something for him and I said, 'Yes!' He said, 'I do not love to have gold equal to the mountain of Uhud unless I spend it all (in Allah's cause) except three Dinars (pounds). These people do not understand and collect worldly wealth. No, by Allah, Neither I ask them for worldly benefits nor am I in need of their religious advice till I meet Allah, The Honorable, The Majestic." ' [Bukhari]
Abu Jamra Ad-Dabi:
I used to sit with Ibn 'Abbas in Mecca. Once I had a fever and he said (to me),"Cool your fever with Zam-zam water, for Allah's Apostle said: 'It, (the Fever)is from the heat of the (Hell) Fire; so, cool it with water (or Zam-zam water)." [Bukhari]
Allah's Apostle said, "Your (ordinary) fire is one of 70 parts of the (Hell) Fire." Someone asked, "O Allah's Apostle This (ordinary) fire would have been sufficient (to torture the
unbelievers)," Allah's Apostle said, "The (Hell) Fire has 69 parts more than the ordinary (worldly) fire, each part is as hot as this (worldly) fire."[Bukhari]
The Prophet said, "Allah will say to that person of the (Hell) Fire who will receive the least punishment, 'If you had everything on the earth, would you give it as a ransom to free yourself (i.e. save yourself from this Fire)?' He will say, 'Yes.' Then Allah will say, 'While you were in the backbone of Adam, I asked you much less than this, i.e. not to
worship others besides Me, but you insisted on worshipping others besides me." [Bukhari]
Abu Said Al-Khudri:
The Prophet further said, "By Him in Whose Hands my life is, hope that you will be one-fourth of the people of Paradise." We shouted, "Allahu Akbar!" He added, "I hope that you will be one-third of the people of Paradise." We shouted, "Allahu Akbar!" He said, "I hope that you will be half of the people of Paradise." We shouted, "Allahu Akbar!" He further said, "You (Muslims) (compared with non Muslims) are like a black hair in the skin of a white ox or like a white hair in the skin of a black ox (i.e. your number is very small as compared with theirs)."[Bukhari]
The Prophet said, "You will be gathered (on the Day of Judgment), bare-footed, naked and not circumcised." He then recited:--'As We began the first creation, We, shall repeat it:
A Promise We have undertaken: Truly we shall do it.' (21.104) He added, "The first to be dressed on the Day of Resurrection, will be Abraham, and some of my companions will be taken towards the left side (i.e. to the (Hell) Fire), and I will say: 'My companions! My companions!' It will be said: 'They renegade from Islam after you left them.' Then I will say as the Pious slave of Allah (i.e. Jesus) said. 'And I was a witness Over them while I dwelt amongst them. When You took me up You were the Watcher over them, And You are a
witness to all things. If You punish them. They are Your slaves And if You forgive them, Verily you, only You are the All-Mighty, the All-Wise." (5.120-121)[Bukhari]
The Prophet said, "On the Day of Resurrection Abraham will meet his father Azar whose face will be dark and covered with dust. (The Prophet Abraham will say to him): 'Didn't I tell you not to disobey me?' His father will reply: 'Today I will not disobey you.' 'Abraham will say: 'O Lord! You promised me not to disgrace me on the Day of Resurrection; and what will be more disgraceful to me than cursing and dishonoring my father?' Then Allah will say (to him):' 'I have forbidden Paradise for the disbelievers." Then he will be addressed, 'O Abraham! Look! What is underneath your feet?' He will look and there he will see a Dhabh (an animal,) blood-stained, which will be caught by the legs and thrown in the (Hell) Fire."[Bukhari]
If a man saw a dream during the lifetime of the Prophet he would narrate it to the Prophet. Once I wished to see a dream and narrate it to the Prophet I was young, unmarried, and used to sleep in the Mosque during the lifetime of the Prophet. I dreamt that two angels took me and went away with me towards the (Hell) Fire which looked like a well with the inside walls built up, and had two side-walls like those of a well. There I saw some people in it whom I knew.I started saying, "I seek Refuge with Allah from the (Hell) Fire, I seek Refuge with Allah from the (Hell) Fire." Then another angel met the other two and said to me, "Do not be afraid." I narrated my dream to Hafsa who, in her turn, narrated it to the Prophet. He said, "What an excellent man Abdullah is if he only observes the night prayer." (Salem, a sub-narrator said, "Abdullah used not to sleep at night but very little hence forward." [Bukhari]
The Prophet said, "The people will be thrown into the (Hell) Fire and it will say: "Are there any more (to come)?' (50.30) till Allah puts His Foot over it and it will say, 'Qati! Qati! (Enough Enough!)'"[Bukhari]
Haritha bin Wahb Al-Khuzai:
I heard the Prophet saying. "May I tell you of the people of Paradise? Every weak and poor obscure person whom the people look down upon but his oath is fulfilled by Allah when he takes an oath to do something. And may I inform you of the people of the Hell-Fire? They are all those violent, arrogant and stubborn people." [Bukhari]
The Prophet said: "I was shown the Hell-fire and that the majority of its dwellers were women who were ungrateful." It was asked, "Do they disbelieve in Allah?" (or are they
ungrateful to Allah?) He replied, "They are ungrateful to their husbands and are ungrateful for the favors and the good (charitable deeds) done to them. If you have always been good
(benevolent) to one of them and then she sees something in you (not of her liking), she will say, 'I have never received any good from you." [Bukhari]
The Prophet said, "Whoever purposely throws himself from a mountain and kills himself, will be in the (Hell) Fire falling down into it and abiding therein perpetually forever; and whoever drinks poison and kills himself with it, he will be carrying his poison in his hand and drinking it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever; and whoever kills
himself with an iron weapon, will be carrying that weapon in his hand and stabbing his abdomen with it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever." [Bukhari]
The Prophet said, "He who commits suicide by throttling shall keep on throttling himself in the Hell Fire (forever) and he who commits suicide by stabbing himself shall keep on stabbing himself in the Hell-Fire." [Bukhari]
'Indeed, it (Hell) throws about sparks (huge) as Forts." [Bukhari]
'Aid bin Haatim:
The Prophet mentioned the (Hell) Fire and sought refuge (with Allah) from it, and turned his face to the other side. He mentioned the (Hell) Fire again and took refuge (with Allah)
from it and turned his face to the other side. (Sheba, the sub-narrator, said, "I have no doubt that the Prophet repeated it twice.") The Prophet then said, "(O people!) Save yourselves
from the (Hell) Fire even if with one half of a date fruit (given in charity), and if this is not available, then (save yourselves) by saying a good pleasant friendly word."[Bukhari]
The Prophet said, "The people will be gathered in three ways: (The first way will be of) those who will wish or have a hope (for Paradise) and will have a fear (of punishment), (The
second batch will be those who will gather) riding two on a camel or three on a camel or ten on a camel. (The third batch) the rest of the people will be urged to gather by the Fire
which will accompany them at the time of their afternoon nap and stay with them where they will spend the night, and will be with them in the morning wherever they may be then, and will be with them in the afternoon wherever they may be then."[Bukhari]
The Prophet said, "Allah will say, 'O Adam!. Adam will reply, 'Layback and Sa'dee (I respond to Your Calls, I am obedient to Your orders), wal Khair fi
Yadaik (and all the good is in Your Hands)!' Then Allah will say (to Adam), Bring out the people of the Fire.' Adam will say, 'What (how many) are the people of the Fire?' Allah will say, 'Out of every thousand (take out) nine-hundred and ninety-nine (persons).' At that time children will become hoary-headed and every pregnant female will drop her load (have an abortion) and you will see the people as if they were drunk, yet not drunk; But Allah's punishment will be very severe." That news distressed the companions of the Prophet too much, and they said, "O Allah's Apostle! Who amongst us will be that man (the lucky one out of one-thousand who will be saved from the Fire)?" He said, "Have the good news that one-thousand will be from Gog and Magog, and the one (to be saved will be)from you." The Prophet added, "By Him in Whose Hand my soul is, I Hope that you (Muslims) will be one third of the people of Paradise." On that, we glorified and praised Allah and said, "Allahu Akbar." The Prophet then said, "By Him in Whose Hand my soul is, I hope that you will be one half of the people of Paradise, as your (Muslims) example in comparison to the other people (non-Muslims), is like that of a white hair on the skin of a black ox, or a round hairless spot on the foreleg of a donkey." [Bukhari]
'Aid bin Haatim:
The Prophet said, "There will be none among you but will be talked to by Allah on the Day of Resurrection, without there being an interpreter between him and Him (Allah) . He will look and see nothing ahead of him, and then he will look (again for the second time) in front of him, and the (Hell) Fire will confront him. So, whoever among you can save himself from the Fire, should do so even with one half of a date (to give in charity)."[Bukhari]
'Aid bin Haatim:
The Prophet said, "Protect yourself from the Fire." He then turned his face aside (as if he were looking at it) and said again, "Protect yourself from the Fire," and then turned his face aside (as if he were looking at it), and he said so for the third time till we thought he was looking at it. He then said, "Protect yourselves from the Fire, even if with one half of a date and he who hasn't got even this, (should do so) by (saying) a good, pleasant word.'[Bukhari]
The Prophet; said, "The people of Paradise will enter Paradise, and the people of the (Hell) Fire will enter the (Hell) Fire: then a call-maker will get up (and make an announcement) among them, 'O the people of the (Hell) Fire! No death anymore ! And O people of Paradise! No death (anymore) but Eternity."[Bukhari]
The Prophet said, " It will be said to the people of Paradise, 'O people of Paradise! Eternity (for you) and no death,' and to the people of the Fire, 'O people of the Fire, eternity (for you) and no death!" [Bukhari]
Anas bin Malik:
The Prophet said, "Some people will come out of the Fire after they have received a touch of the Fire, changing their color, and they will enter Paradise, and the people of Paradise will
name them 'Al-Jahannamiyin' the (Hell) Fire people."[Bukhari]
An-Nu'man bin Bashir:
I heard the Prophet saying, "The least punished person of the (Hell) Fire people on the Day of Resurrection will be a man under whose arch of the feet two smoldering embers will be
placed, because of which his brain will boil just like Al-Mirjal (copper vessel) or a Qum-qum (narrow-necked vessel) is boiling with water."[Bukhari]
The Prophet said, "While I was sleeping, a group (of my followers were brought close to me), and when I recognized them, a man (an angel) came out from amongst (us) me and them,
he said (to them), 'Come along.' I asked, 'Where?' He said, 'To the (Hell) Fire, by Allah' I asked, 'what is wrong with them' He said, 'They turned apostate as renegades after you left.' Then behold! (Another) group (of my followers) were brought close to me, and when I recognized them, a man (an angel) came out from (me and them) he said (to them); Come
along.' I asked, "Where?' He said, 'To the (Hell) Fire, by Allah.' I asked, What is wrong with them?' He said, 'They turned apostate as renegades after you left. So I did not see
anyone of them escaping except a few who were like camels without a shepherd." [Bukhari]
Allah's Apostle said, "I saw Hell and its different portions were consuming each other and saw 'Amr dragging his intestines (in it), and he was the first person to establish the tradition
of letting animals loose (for the idols)."[Bukhari]
I heard the Prophet saying, "The person who will have the least punishment from amongst the Hell Fire people on the Day of Resurrection, will be a man under whose arch of the feet a
smoldering ember will be placed so that his brain will boil because of it. "[Bukhari]
The Prophet said, "Some people who will be scorched by Hell (Fire) as a punishment for sins they have committed, and then Allah will admit them into Paradise by the grant of His Mercy. These people will be called, 'Al-JahannamiyyLin' (the people of Hell)." [Bukhari]
The Prophet said, "The part of an Izar (dress for men) which hangs below the ankles is in the Fire." [Bukhari]
That he heard Allah's Apostle saying, "A slave of Allah may utter a word without thinking whether it is right or wrong, he may slip down in the Fire as far away a distance equal to that
between the east." [Bukhari]
Allah's Apostle said," (On the Day of Resurrection) any one whose account will be taken will be ruined (i.e. go to Hell)." I said, "O Allah's Apostle! May Allah make me be sacrificed for you. Doesn't Allah say:"Then as for him who will be given his record in his right hand, he surely will receive an easy reckoning.?" (84.7-8) He replied, "That is only the
presentation of the accounts; but he whose record is questioned, will be ruined." [Bukhari]
The Prophet said, "Paradise is nearer to any of you than the Shirak (leather strap) of his shoe, and so is the (Hell) Fire. [Bukhari]
-collected and compiled by brother Abdelkader K. Tayebi