following comes from a beautiful book, "The Delight of Faith"
(Abdullah bin Jarullah al-Jarullah, transl. J. Zarabozo; Dar as-Salaam, 1996)
as-Saalikeen of Ibn al-Qayyim, vol. 3, pp. 17-18.
Ibn al-Qayyim mentioned ten causes that result in Allah's love for His slave and the slave's love for his Lord. [These ten are:]
1. Reciting the Qur'an while pondering over its meanings and what is meant by it.
closer to Allah by performing voluntary deeds after completing obligatory deeds.
This is as is stated in a Hadith Qudsi: "My slave continues getting closer
to Me by performing voluntary deeds
until I love him." [al-Bukhari]
3. Continual remembrance of Allah under all circumstances, with one's tongue, heart and actions. The extent of one's love of Allah is determined by this.
4. Giving precedence to what He loves over what you love when you are overtaken by your desires.
5. The heart being avid of Allah's Names, and Attributes and the heart roaming in that garden of knowledge.
6. Observing Allah's kindness, goodness and bounties, both hidden and open.
7. And this is the most wonderful, the heart being soft, subdued and meek before Allah.
8. Being alone with Allah during the time when the Lord descends during the last portion of the night while reading His Book and ending that by asking for forgiveness and repenting.
9. Sitting with the beloved and sincere, benefitting from the most fruitful of their speech. And not to speak unless speaking is more beneficial and you know that it will improve your state and be beneficial to others.
10. Remaining away from every cause that comes between the heart and Allah.
These ten causes take the lovers to the station of true love and bring them to their Beloved.